The first step is to totally disassemble the locomotive.20171015_135825

Even this is not totally disassembled.  The cab is still attached to the boiler.  The pilot truck is still together (the itty bitty pilot wheels are being replaced).  The tender is still all together.

I started with the motor mounting.  I figured that if I couldn’t get the motor mounting sorted out at the beginning of the project then there wasn’t much point in continuing.  The motor is a Faulhaber motor.  Its a small motor with a gear reduction head on it.  The gear reduction head will slow the engine down to a prototypical top speed and give better low speed control and torque.  I figure top speed would have been 40 to 45 mph.  Don’t forget 100 mph wasn’t broken until 1893 (if it actually was) and then it was on flat, straight, NYCRR multitrack, heavy duty, main line with a locomotive that had 86″ drivers.

Capture

I put the frame in a vice and used my rotary tool with a drum sander to open up the plastic.  I took more off at the front then the back thinking that if I tryed to put the motor down far enough to be flat there would be no frame left.  So I ground and checked, ground and checked, ground and checked.  I would put the front driver in place then sit the motor down in place to see how the gear meshed.

20171015_151636_HDR

Here I am repairing the damage.  The pieces in the bottom are there to lift the back of the motor and drop the gear down a bit.  The white piece at the right is there to build up the edge of the frame that I hadn’t intended to hit.  Later I filed it down and gave it a bit of filler to get it back to a square corner.

20171015_151617

This is how it should look.20171015_153402.jpg

While I was working on the frame I fixed the broken bottom cover plate screw hole.  I ground this off flat and glued on a piece of styrene of the correct thickness then drilled a new hole in it.

20171019_141423

Here it is assembled and wired.  Runs like a charm.

Next the boiler.

Steamfoamer